Monday, August 8, 2011

Cowboy, take me away...

Three years go, when we bought the house we are living in, I felt like God was saying we would be here for a while. We hadn't forced the issue of home ownership, just put out an offer and watched God work. Previous to this we had thought we might move out of town or even out of state. It seemed like a good time. Will wanted to start back to school and the kids were young enough that I felt it wouldn't effect their "social life" negatively. But God shut those doors, we got this house, I found out I was pregnant with Caleb the week after we closed...I put the desire to go anywhere anytime soon far behind me. A year later we joined CVBC so that we could be a part of a church in our community. Something that at the time felt like a really hard change for me (I'd been at the same church for 20 years). Shortly after we joined CVBC I started praying for God to rock our world. Though I was seeking an intimate relationship with my Lord, I still felt a distance I couldn't understand no matter how hard I tried. I was comfortable and it made me oddly uncomfortable. A year later I was presented with an opportunity to go Ghana, West Africa with our mission team. I felt such a strong calling to go I couldn't refuse God. Looking back, I also had the expectation that this was what I needed to "move me". I came back confused and not moved, at least not the way I expected. I did, however, come back with a new outlook on what ministry God had in mind for me, Jr. High girls. Since then I have been working with the youth and am completely in love with this calling...totally God because I have been quoted as saying "I will NEVER..." when it came to this ministry. So here is my point...

All of this to say that last month when Will got an interview with OSU I honestly said to my dear sweet husband, it'll be good practice, but I don't think God has called us to move right now (kinda goes with the "I will never" statement). So when a month passed and we heard nothing and even Will finally caved to the idea that the position had been filled I was feeling pretty smug and safe. Then Friday before last will calls me and tells me that he had just received a call from OSU. They had been busy with projects and hadn't had time to do the second round of interviews. So he set up a phone interview for the next Tuesday. Previous to his first interview we had prayed that if he wasn't going to get the position that he not get a second interview to save on gas. I didn't know what to think if a second phone interview. Why had I not been more specific?! Still in my own safe world, I wasn't believing it would happen (even though my friend, Kimberli, assured me a month ago I was moving when I told her I didn't feel my ministry here was done). Thursday morning Will got a call with a verbal offer for the position. I STILL was in denial! By about 11 pm it hit me and the water works started. The rest of the day God gave me scriptures of trusting in Him, song of comfort and praise. It was good and by the end of the day I was ready to take on the new challenge. The next day and every day since, the song that has been stuck in my head is "Cowboy take me away" by the Dixie Chicks. I so strongly feel that God will use this move to strengthen our family. I know there will be though times and tears ahead...but if our God is for us then who could ever stop us...

Will is starting his new job on the 22nd and the kids and I will be staying here until December to prep the house and hopefully sell it.

We'll keep you posted. Please keep us in your prayers. We love you all! This Herron Nest is heading north...

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! what a great place to be (physically and spiritually...ha) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you! So thankful for Facebook so we can still keep in touch! Much love!

    ReplyDelete